Whitebean, chargrilled pizza pastry with oregano salsa verde
This pastry pie is perfect for “bring a plate” events. It can be cut into 16 slices, and is usually gone within seconds. If you can find vegan pastry then this also ticks the no dairy, no egg, no butter, no harm recipe list too. The creamy white bean base is a perfect substitute for cheese.
For the base
- 8 slices of filo pastry
- 1 Tin of cannellini beans (drain 3/4 water)
- 1 spoon of Tahini
- 1/4 lemon squeezed
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tsp of fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the topping
- 10 broccolini stalks sliced longways
- 10 asparagus stalks sliced in half longways
- 1 zucchini sliced into .5 cm discs
- 1/2 capsicum cut into chunks
- 1 cup of flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 fresh oregano
- 2 capers
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place baking paper into a greased baking dish approx 35 x 25.
- Set oven to 180C.
- Place 4 layers of filo, with basted butter in between sheets. Then connect a further 4 sheets lengthwise. Crimp the edges to make a crust. Place a piece of baking paper over the top with baking weights and cook for 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a blender, place cannellini beans, 1/4 reserved liquid, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and rosemary, and chili. Blend until smooth and thick. Remove from blender and begin the drizzle sauce.
- Place all the ingredients for the drizzle sauce into the blender. Blend until ingredients are combined. The mixture should be slightly thick. Add oil after to maintain a rich green colour.
- In a grill pan, place vegetables, char until then get golden brown making sure the vegetables maintain their texture and firmness. Remove and let cool.
- Construct by spooning bean mixture onto the base and then place vegetables in a pattern on top. Place drizzle sauce on top. Cut the pizza into 16 slices and serve.